Why Are Ponds So Important?
A water feature adds visual and acoustic elements to your outdoor environment. A visually stunning pond will help increase the value of your home.
What Are Different Types of Backyard Ponds?
Some popular backyard ponds are:
- Natural ponds
- Wildlife ponds
- Koi ponds, and
Can You Dig a Pond Anywhere?
Consider these factors when selecting a site for your pond:
- Soil suitability
- The type of pond you want to build
- Availability and quality of water
- The area’s topography
How Do You Install a Pond Liner?
Follow these steps when installing a pond liner:
- Remove sharp objects from the pond base and walls
- Fill voids greater than 1” in size
- Install the underlayment
- Place the liner into the pond hole. Make sure you have at least 6” of extra material around the top edge
How Big of a Pond Do You Need for Koi?
The general rule of thumb to go by is 1” of fish per gallon and at least 24” deep.
What Type of Liner Should I Use?
Look for a rubber or PVC pond liner.
Should I Put Rocks or Gravel at the Bottom of the Pond?
Yes, rocks and gravel not only add a natural appearance but assist in the health of the pond
Are Koi Ponds High Maintenance?
The average Koi pond requires no more than 15 minutes of maintenance per week.
Do Garden Ponds Need a Pump?
Pond pumps oxygenate the water and keep a check on algae growth. If you intend to keep fish in your pond, consider installing a pump a necessity.
How Can I Improve the Quality of My Pond Water?
Follow these easy tips to enhance the quality of your pond water:
- Use pond water treatments
- If you have fish, use aeration
- Avoid overfeeding your fish
- Use the right-sized pump
- Choose proper filtration
How Deep Can a Pond Be?
An average-sized pond is usually 24inches deep at the center. Larger ponds can be several feet deep.
How Often Should You Drain a Pond?
This should be done annually.
Why Does My Koi Pond Keep Turning Green?
If your pond water keeps turning green, chances are you have too many fish. Ponds with goldfish or koi also keep turning green as these fish produce too much waste that feeds algae.
How Do I Make My Pond Water Clear Naturally?
Follow these tips to keep your pond water clean naturally:
- Add plants
- Use a biological filter
- Avoid overfeeding your fish
- Do not add too many fish to your pond
How Do I Get Rid of Algae in My Pond Naturally?
Here are some ways to get rid of algae naturally:
- Plant aquatic plants that absorb algae forming nutrients
- Do not overfeed your fish
- Use an algae net to remove algae
- Introduce algae eating creatures to your pond
What Plants Keep Ponds Clean?
Some plants that keep ponds clean are:
- Water lilies
- Assorted Rush
How Do I Stop My Pond from Smelling?
Follow these tips to fix and prevent smelly pond water:
- Come up with a plan to provide extra aeration
- Get rid of algae blooms
- Keep your filtration and media clean
- Regularly remove sludge, pond muck, and waste
My Floating Plants Seem Unhealthy. What Should I Do?
Here are some tips to prevent your unhealthy plants from dying:
- Add fertilizer to your pond
- Take steps to reduce algae
- Make sure your plants get ample sunlight
- Prune tall plants
Why Should I Have a Fountain, Stream or Waterfall?
The benefits of adding a waterfall or fountain to a pond go beyond enhancing its aesthetic appeal. Adding a waterfall to a pond is one of the most effective ways to maintain healthy pond oxygen levels. A waterfall can provide an additional source of filtration for your pond, promoting healthy growth and cleanliness.
We have tried to incorporate some of the most frequently asked questions about pond building, pond maintenance, pond pumps, plants, and koi. Is your question not listed here? No worries! Just drop your question in our form or call our team – Pondscapes, AZ – your reputable pond builder in Phoenix, at (480) 987-7781.